Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Fond Farewell to the Yamashitas

Me and the Yamashitas
This week was a bit more quiet but still good. A member took us to a
pizza restaurant so you know it was good, haha.

  On Thursday we had our last zone conference with the Yamashitas, it
was very special. We sat in a smaller room in a half circle without
tables and listened. Yamashita kaicho reviewed everything that we
learned from all the mission conferences since he came here. We've had
a lot of great times together including meeting an apostle. We also
reviewed many things the Yamashitas taught us, like being an Ammon
like missionary, 100% OYM, saying kind words to your companion,
studying the language harder with the Ninja, visit your "sacred grove"
each day, and many other things. I remembered all of it from back when
I first came to Japan.
Feast with the Yamashitas

    Then we had a nice lunch around a big table in the cultural hall.
The Yamashitas sat with us and chatted. It was a good meal. Then
Sister Yamashita announced the birthdays and we all sang, which,
singing happy birthday with Yamashita shimai is a very entertaining
experience. She also gave out the ninja award and sang the ninja song
for almost half the zone, including my companion who worked hard to
earn it.

    Then we sat back down in the room and had a question and answer
time with the Yamashitas where we could ask any question about
anything, dendo or not dendo. It was really good, they shared many
stories from their life. He also gave us advice and counsel, like he
gives to missionaries returning home, about dating and marriage. He
tells them to go home and go on one date a week, probably one of the most
difficult standards of excellence for me, haha. Also do 100% OYM (Open
your mouth) and 200% OYE (open your eyes). He also said if we plan it
right he can maybe do the sealing for us. That'd be way cool.
#Kanazawa Zone

  Among other things, he also talked about transfers, how we get our
areas and companions, and inspiration for that. He said there are no
perfect transfers, God is perfect, and He knows us and His work, and
what needs to be done. He said that it is no coincidence that we are
all here at this time with him. He said that they will always remember
the many experiences they have had with us these two years. Each of us
has impacted their lives, he said "you are all my hero and heroine"
you could just feel the love and the Spirit that was in the room.

   He left us with a final message, his last thing to say to us as
our mission president, "When President Uchtdorf called me to be a 70,
I committed to serve the Lord until I die. Elders and Sisters always
remember, my message to you, Elders, I put it on your mission tie,
wherever you go, even after your mission, you serve the Lord." As we
say in our mission culture, we love the Lord, trust the Lord, serve
the Lord. Then he left us with a song, a familiar one that hearkens
back to my primary days. He showed a video of a lovely rendition of
it, "I'm trying to be like Jesus". Ponder the lyrics, remember them
wherever we go, this was his message to us.
Ninja masters!

1." I'm trying to be like Jesus;
I'm following in his ways.
I'm trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,

Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.

2. I'm trying to love my neighbor;
I'm learning to serve my friends.
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons he taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts, saying:

Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught." - Janice Kapp Perry
Birthday people

I love the Yamashitas. They are like parents to us. I have learned so
much form them. He said we can contact him anytime after our missions
and see him at the mission reunions. I'm thankful for the opportunity
to serve with them. We will all miss them, but we welcome President
and Sister Ishii in a couple of weeks, I've only heard good things
about them.

   Let's all remember this great message. Y'all have a great week,
love you guys a ton! BTW this Saturday is transfer calls!

Much love,
Elder Watkins. :)
The Assistants to the President, Elders Emry and Strauss chillin with us (fun fact, Elder Strauss is my doki, we came to Japan together)

Himi beach dendo

Himi beach dendo

It is this hot outside guys.

Somethings fishy

Spiderman?

Brings back memories

Add caption
More fun

Having fun!

My Transfer 12 Masked Rider Planner!

My Transfer 12 Masked Rider Planner!
Aw look at this doggy!

Aw look at this doggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment